Picture of Con scheme victim

What to Do if You Are the Victim of a Con Scheme?

Falling victim to a con scheme may come with various feelings, from anger and guilt to shame. However, staying silent isn’t the answer, and letting authorities know can help bring the con artist to justice.

But beyond that, seeking legal counsel may help you recap any money you lost and possibly more for emotional damages.

What Should I Do If I’m A Victim Of A Con Scheme?

In the aftermath of a con scheme, it’s a cruel injustice that you must take responsibility for restoring your financial life.

Employing a lawyer early in the process can help expedite certain aspects and ensure you take every step possible to protect yourself further.

First, head to your local police station and file a police report. Bring evidence of the crime, such as emails, text messages, and bank transfers. Then, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Next, contact all your banks and creditors to close your accounts, change the account numbers, and inform them of the situation.

Finally, check your credit report and put a fraud alert on it in case the con artists take further action.

Unfortunately, it may take some time for police and credit agencies to investigate, depending on the circumstances. You may bring a civil suit to recover financial losses and possible damages for emotional distress if the thief is identified.

Should Victims Of A Con Scheme Hire An Attorney?

In the aftermath of a con scheme, civil suits may help restore some of your lost money and give you compensation for the pain and suffering the con scheme caused you.

The police will handle any criminal charges, but getting your money back is usually unlikely just through criminal proceedings.

At The Knox Law Center, we offer complimentary consultations to help assess your case and provide insight into whether a civil suit could help you recover damages or if it’s unlikely, because there is no thief identified yet.

Recent News & Articles

Contact An Attorney Today

Mar 4, 2020
 by Anonymous on Knox Law Center
Exceptional Legal Representation & True Professional, Genuine Individual

I first met Allen after he was recommended to me by a friend, and I couldn't be happier with the service that he provided. He demonstrated a unique attention to detail in my case, as well as expressed a genuine interest in me as a person. Through a great deal of hard work, Allen was able to appeal my case and get all of my charges dismissed. I couldn't be more grateful for him and his assistant, Sherry, for their legal and personal support during such a difficult time. Hiring Allen was the greatest decision I've ever made, and I would recommend Allen to anyone seeking exceptional legal representation.

Feb 23, 2020
 by Anonymous on Knox Law Center
The most amazing lawyer, a true gem & winner

Allen is the best lawyer I've ever met! His character is genuine, and there is a warmth about him that makes you feel so comfortable. If you ever get into a situation with DWI, and feel truly remorseful for what happened, HIRE him for the BEST chance possible. I previously spent 6000$ on an attorney who just didn't feel like they really gave me the personal care that I needed. They were only in it for the money. After hearing raving reviews about Allen, I fired my lawyer and took a leap of faith with Allen. Even though I had to pay two separate times and could not get a refund for the previous lawyer, IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!! He won my case with dignity, respect, and care and I am forever thankful to him for this.

Page 1 of 17:
Call Knox Law