Affairs And Divorce: Protecting Your Rights

North Carolina is one of the few states in the union that allows a person to file lawsuits for Alienation of Affection and Criminal Conversation. This means a lawsuit may be filed against the boyfriend or girlfriend for essentially destroying the marriage.

In some situations, these lawsuits are valid claims of emotional damage. However, in many others, they are used as leverage to gain advantage in a divorce.

At the Knox Law Center, our family law attorneys have a thorough understanding of Alienation of Affection laws and can explain the role they may have in your divorce proceeding. Contact us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers to discuss the potential liability.

  • Read our article on Alienation of Affection for more information.

Difference Between Alienation of Affection and Criminal Conversation

Someone may file a lawsuit for Alienation of Affection against his or her spouse's boyfriend/girlfriend for destroying the marriage. The scorned spouse must prove that a loving marital relationship existed and that it was destroyed by the boyfriend/girlfriend's actions.

To file a successful Criminal Conversation lawsuit, the spouse filing the claim must prove that there was a sexual relationship during the couple's marriage.

Call for an Attorney Consultation

To talk to a divorce lawyer about your case, please call 704-315-2363 or 866-704-9059 (toll free). You may also contact us by e-mail.